Monday, April 26, 2010

Would I Give Up High Heels?

In my world these last years, I have become fond of a description I ascribe to myself regarding my obsession with high heels... I am my 'true-intended height' when I wear them. God made me 5'4.5", but created men who would make shoes that would take me to the 5'7" or 5'8" that He intended. It was kind of the Lord to do this for me, don't you think?

A recent conversation with a friend has called into question (in a nice, non-judgmental, but making-me-think-sort-of-way) if part of the obsession exists so I might better fit into a daydream I carry around about marrying a very tall man. Yep, that sounds as funny as I expected - ridiculous perhaps? But honestly, when she said this to me on Saturday, I thought, "Hummm...." There is something in me that really desires to feel small and protected in a relationship. I've continued to mull this over wondering what I really do hope for in the person I marry... Another friend, recently engaged, shared just two weeks before how her fiance came in a 'package' she didn't expect, yet how tremendously well-suited they are for another. Was this the Lord preparing me to think this through a bit more?

And Saturday, this question was posed, "Jess, would you give up high heels?" Let's talk about this: "what if" I met a godly man, passionately pursuing and building God's Kingdom, a great communicator who loved me enough to encourage me toward the Lord in life, was growing in grace and truth, and was not what I have envisioned outwardly? What if I towered over him when I wore my heels and that was strange for him? Could I wear flats 'til death do us part? Part of me says, "EEK!"...

Let's just say that I'm still in process with the latter (aka, 'Wow, this is harder to consider than I ever imagined'), but seeking to let the Lord inform my future because I know that He is truly good -- Who knew a girls' high heels could be such a big deal?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great question to ask Jess. You are awesome. Love you.

Jessica Bott said...

Thanks Al. It's a hard one - letting the Lord help me with my expectations. Miss you, love you!