Thursday, August 17, 2006

Life After Colorado... Two Years Later

It's official! Today I celebrate two years in Boston and I can hardly believe it. I almost forgot the "anniversary" in the midst of this hectic week, but remembered as I was sorting through documents in my effort to switch offices this afternoon. Two years ago, my Mom, Dad and new teammates were unloading the moving truck into my first apartment out here. It was a crazy day and I remember Judy & Corri (who had just moved here with their families from our old region as well) dropping by in the early afternoon with some flowers and stuff for my place. We all were a little wide-eyed as we talked through the change we all had chosen. It was so strange to think that I'd actually done it... Moved clear across the country, taking on a new role, joining this new team that melded the thoughts, ideas and ministry philosophies of two regions together and leaving everything I knew behind.

It has been quite the adventure and I am thankful that God gave me the opportunity to do it. It is hard to imagine what life would be like had I stayed in Colorado. One thing is for certain, this choice has been one of the utmost steps of faith I've taken in my short life and it was a great decision. God has grown me so much through this change. At times I am surprised by how clearly His hand has led me and struck by the grace His has bestowed on me in the challenging times. And, it has been incredible to see His plan for our region unfold as He has caused growth and change in the lives of our staff and students.

Author Janet Hagberg writes, "We do not grow so much by effort or following a formula as we do by being open to the grace of God." When a friend shared this quote with me a few years back I remember the impact it had on my life. I am, by nature, a very formula-driven person. I want things to fit neatly together and to make sense. And, in my relationship with God, I want to feel like I'm measuring up and if I do the right things, then I can experience His grace in my life. If I've learned nothing else in the past two years, I have learned this: it's true, I've grown so much more by simply being open to God's grace in my life than by working hard to "earn" His acceptance. I don't have it all figured out and I've learned that He doesn't expect that from me. He simply wants my heart. In this new city where the rules were all very unfamiliar at one point, I saw that I needed to experience His grace. And, I've grown up in the process of embracing this reality. Its been really, really good.

Things I love about life in Boston:

1. Working in the city in a position where I can grow, with people I like and for a purpose far greater than myself.
2. The Charles River.
3. Friends I've made along the way (some who are still here, others who have already moved away [miss you Bryant's, Anderson's & Almaz!]).
4. Finale for dessert. Stephanies on Newbury for the occasional brunch. Solas/Elephant Castle/The Kinsale for good pub food. Sam LaGrassa's for the reuben. Sebastians/Cosi for a good salad. Naked Fish for seafood. Mariposa Bakery in Central Square for the best mocha I've yet to find in Boston. The list goes on and on! Food is a good thing...
5. My church! CityLife is gospel-centric and the people are authentic. I feel blessed to have "landed" there.
6. My apartment. If you've been there, you know why. I love it...
7. The city and the people in it. Boston is so diverse. I really appreciate seeing and interacting with people who are different than me.
8. The Public Garden in the spring and summer. Fenway anytime. The Boston Public Library in Copley... Oh, I have a book that's overdue... whoops!

I still listen to my favorite Colorado radio station online, miss my family and friends and long to see a sunset over the Rockies throughout the week, but I love my Boston life. Who knows how long I'll be here... When people ask I simply say, "Until the Lord tells me otherwise." In the meantime I hope to thrive and grow by being transformed by the gospel and loving God and others. Here's to the first two years of growth and change and the hope for a tremendous "Year No. Three." Cheers.

2 comments:

skf said...

What an awesome story about how you came to love Boston... We love that you're here.

Jessica Bott said...

Thanks, Sarah!