Friday, August 24, 2007

The Overcomer

Wednesday morning found me on the T on my way to the office. I'm slowly finding my way back into my routine here in Boston and, to be honest, it hasn't been that easy. Thankfully, I have an amazing job and the people I work with care for me... I am "easing" into life and work. While on the T, I was reading in the Gospel of John and came to the end of chapter 16 where Jesus says to his disciples, "But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

He had just covered the work of the Spirit - telling the disciples that he was going to leave, but sharing the necessity of this - then the Spirit could come. He wanted them to have peace in knowing that the plan was bigger than what they saw (or would see). And then, he told them to take heart... He had overcome the world. They could serve, love and obey him unhindered.

For me, this hit home. I so appreciate that God knows what I need and provides for it. He looks beyond the circumstance, sees the big picture and tells me, "Jess, take heart, because I've overcome the world." He knows what is ahead, where I've come from and what is going on now. He "gets" it. He understands the brokenness around me and in me.

I'm coming to understand the greater reality that this is a large part of why he moved me to Boston. He wants me to want more of him; not just the things he offers or what he provides for me (including my salvation), but simply, wanting him. It's encouraging for me to reflect on this right now as I transition back and trust him with my life here on the east coast.

No comments: