Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sabbatical: Week One Continued

Our adventures in Poros were fairly low-key. I think my sister and I both needed some serious downtime - to be honest, we didn't even talk to each other much. We both read books, enjoyed the walks into town, ate great food (the french fries were to-die-for!!!), met interesting friends and slept a ton.

Early in our stay we found our way to Oasis, one of my favorite spots there - mostly because the locals who worked there chatted it up with us (and as my sister will attest to, I talked with everyone in sight). Michael, a partial owner of the restaurant, was gregarious to say the least. The night we headed there for dessert, he practically forced us to sit with two unknown sailors and the ensuing hours were spent talking about everything from life and love to politics and faith.

Edvin and Michel, brothers from Holland, were engaging. We learned all about their families and their love of sailing - Michel owned the boat that was in port in Poros. They gave us a tour of the boat and we wished them well on their early-morning journey and said our goodbyes. It was 2:30 as we made our way home that night, yet I felt so awake. In large part, I think it's because Michel and I had the chance to talk about God. It was humbling to hear about his life and reasons he doesn't think God exists. We talked about suffering and the way it has shaped his worldview. It made me sad as I understood his losses and why he believes as he does. Our conversation gave me hope as I remembered that God loves him and passionately pursues a relationship with him.

Other highlights included sharing breakfasts at the hotel with Jonna and Leif from Denmark. Both teachers and excellent conversationalists which made a delightful start to the days away. One day we rented a car and experienced the island - it took about a half-hour to see it all. :)

Our little car - I revisited my knowledge of driving a standard and freaked my sister out on some of the narrow roads.

Views of the Aegean. Have I mentioned the beauty of this place?

Another view. Wow, it was breathtaking.

Here I am in front of a Greek olive tree. The olives were amazing...
Posted by Picasa

No comments: