Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sabbatical, Day One

As promised, here are some posts detailing my adventures over the past month. In way of background, I'd say that I've been on the road to burnout for the past couple of years. There have been spaces in time that served as reprieves and allowed me to keep plugging forward (especially my summer assignment in Vail in 2007), but as time went on, I knew I needed to get away from ministry life AND that staying home for my sabbatical would not produce results that would ultimately benefit my heart. For the first two weeks, I hopped the Pond, landed in London which acted as home-base and did more traveling from there.

First hiccup of the trip:

While I was filling out my entry form for the UK just before our descent, I realized a huge oversight: I did not have my sister's address! She was picking me up at the airport, so I didn't think much about it. The only thing I knew about where I was going was the Tube line she lived off of - helpful, I'm sure... Making my way through the immigration area, I came to the UK officer and told him of my dilemma. He proceeded to look over my form where I had written "Ministry Operations" as my occupation. He thought that was a bit interesting and asked me a plethora of questions which finally included: "Are you planning to evangelize while you're in the UK?" Well... Not exactly planning on it. He also thought it strange that I was on "Sabbatical."

Thankfully, 20 or so minutes later, he let me go. Relaying the conversation to my sister on the way to her place, she said, "V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N - That's all you needed to tell him!" I tend to be thorough! Needless to say, next time I'll remember her address.

Here's my first shot on the road to rest while jet-lagged and experiencing rainy London for the first time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: