Wednesday, February 09, 2011

God = Refuge

Two weeks ago I had a feeling... If I could just give myself the grace to not have it together and do what I was 'supposed' to be doing, but make the choice to rest and listen to my body instead, my energy would return. And today, coming home from my physical therapy and chiropractic appointments, I realized that it is coming back! Honestly, this is such a sweet gift from God. To have the flexibility to be able to live this out is one huge blessing and having seen growth in my life to the point where I actually chose it is amazing!

I feel grateful.
I feel encouraged.
I feel seen by God.
I feel loved by Him.

Psalm 91 has come up again and again these past few weeks. In fact, almost every time I've opened my Bible, the page has fallen there... He definitely got my attention. So many parts of the Psalm resonate with my heart right now (given the things I've shared here recently, as well as these musings for today), but this stuck out this morning as I read the Message version of the text:

"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you my best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I'll give you a long life,
give you a long drink of salvation!"
(Psalm 91:14-16)

I laughed aloud when I read the part about throwing me a party. He's so fun, isn't He? The early parts of the Psalm talk about God as our refuge. I'm resting in that today. He is my home and with Him, I am safe. I'm learning that as I listen, I'm living and thriving--far from my past history of simply surviving.

How grateful I am to Him for such sweet gifts in the midst of life that still feels rather confusing and chaotic right now. Trusting, leaning, depending, waiting, needing, listening... New words that are finding their way into my everyday vocabulary.

No comments: