Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Like a Bird: Free

Look at these birds I was able to capture on my phone last night... Clumped together they stood on the edge of space between sea and sand, and watched the tide as it went out and came back in. Then they flew. Sunset on New Year's Eve 2012. They were a sight to behold. And a beautiful reminder, as well.

God has faithfully provided for me all of my life. His love is unending. Like the ocean, His love is vast and immense. And these birds, they don't wonder where provision comes from because He is the good and faithful Provider. He meets their needs.

I took a walk away from the bonfire, in the opposite direction of my friends last night. Having set two hours before, the sun slept while the moon shone brightly lighting the way ahead of me. My toes dipped in and out of the Atlantic as I strolled and I couldn't think of the words to express what I was feeling, so He gave me a song. And I just sang to Him. It was a sweet, holy moment all alone there facing the ocean, taking in the sky and remembering His goodness to me.

When I consider the valleys of my heart--those places He's currently pressing into that feel so tender and broken--I feel gratitude toward Him. He knows. He sees. He understands. He spoke kindly to me on the eve of this New Year encouraging me to comprehend that it's my freedom that He's after. He will not falter or fail me as He pursues me and fights for me. I'm the one who resists Him; I'm the one who often wants to give up.

Taking advantage of the time with Him, I prayed for the things I haven't wanted to pray. The painful prayers I've allowed to fall to the wayside because I haven't understood why He'd ask me to want those things in the first place. It was a risk. I felt exposed.

I suppose that's what is important as I've greeted 2013 though. If I don't choose to step into what is hard, vulnerable, honest, true... What then? What becomes of my freedom?


No comments: