Friday, March 03, 2006

Speaking of Random...

...occurrences. Case in point: last Friday, I was unloading some supplies from my car - for my small group retreat - and this man who was walking down my street stopped to talk with me. He asked, "Have you got everything?" My reply, "Yep. Thanks!" He stuck around, introduced himself and asked my name. We began to talk about life... and God!

Friends in Boulder used to tell me how this happened to me "all" the time. I remember thinking that it wasn't true. Now I'm not so sure. What IS interesting to me about this is that I'm in New England now. People just don't come up to you and ask if you need help. People don't just stick around and want to know more about God.

Or, do they? I wonder if people really think about Him more than I think they do. It's interesting when I remember that every person is on a spiritual journey. What are they really looking for? Even in my life as a follower of Jesus, I often think about what I'm looking for - maybe it's not so different.

After all, I really want to be known and to know that there is something greater out there than this life I have. Not to say that my life is all bad, but I often find myself in a place where I am so aware of what this life lacks. Look at the world around us. In these moments of my day I often find myself in a place of gratitude, thanking God that it's about Him and not about me.

So, why should I be surprised when someone, even a random guy on the street, wants to talk and understand more about the God that created his life and mine?

No comments: