Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Valley of Vision by Arthur Bennett

I was encouraged and challenged by the following words during our "Confession of Sin" at church today:

"Lord, high and holy, meek and lowly,
You have brought me to the valley of vision,
where I live in the depths but see You in the heights;
hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold Your glory.
Let me learn by paradox
that the way down is the way up,
that to be low is to be high,
that the broken heart is the healed heart,
that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit,
that the repenting soul is the victorious soul,
that to have nothing is to possess all,
that to bear the cross is to wear the crown,
that to give is to receive, that the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime, stars can be seen
from the deepest wells,
and the deeper the wells the brighter Your stars shine.
Let me find Your light in my darkness,
Your life in my death,
Your joy in my sorrow,
Your grace in my sin,
Your riches in my poverty,
Your glory in my valley."

Lately I've been thinking a lot about recognition. I think it's fairly normal to experience some desire to be noticed for the things one accomplishes or the gifts that one has been given. However, when others are given the ability to determine a person's worth in light of these things, every person, I believe, comes up lacking the true and lasting satisfaction of being found worthy as a human. Where do we find our significance? And perhaps more importantly, who determines if we are indeed significant?

Yesterday, I was sharing my thoughts about this with a friend. On a personal note: I have been processing this very thing for a few weeks now. It's not so much the question of where I find my significance or who determines it. For me, both questions are answered in the person of Jesus Christ. He is where I find my significance for life and He tells me that I am significant. I believe Him. BUT I wonder, how do I live this out? You know, it comes back to the faith v. feeling aspect of walking with God.

For instance, I am content where God has me. I love my life - although, it is a bit busy these days. I could not ask for a better job, I have many dear friends and a loving family, and God continually provides for me. Why do I then desire more? Arthur Bennett's words encapsulate this for me... I live in a valley of vision. I see tremendous things from my vantage point and want more. I want to grow, trust, change and experience God's glory in my valley. I want to be more than I am and this leads me to continually strive.

What's funny about this is that the Psalmist instructs, "Cease striving and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10) Another paradox! God wants me to be obedient, to grow, to change, but He is the one that does this in and through me. He does the work! In the valley I look to His glory. It's not about me. And, in light of this truth and the question of recognition, I find that the answer is... It's not about me. It's about Him. His work. His life.

I'm encouraged by this reality because it does mean that I can be content where God has me. I can trust that He is using me the way He desires to and that should He require something else of me, He will move me in that direction, provide what I need to do what He calls me to do and continue to see Him in the midst of it.

God has used the book of Hebrews to encourage me in this as well. The author describes in detail the way in which Jesus is our High Priest explaining that His Priesthood lasts forever. He came to earth and endured everything that we do, but without sin. Therefore, He relates to us perfectly. He understands our weakness and our sin, yet, He doesn't condemn us. Rather, He takes the penalty for our sin upon Himself and brings us to God. He empowers us to lay aside the world's way of living life and embrace the paradox of the Gospel. And, we get to live in the valley of vision.

2 comments:

skf said...

you are the second blog i've read in the last five minutes that has this confession on it!!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Jessica, I just accidentally "flagged your blog"!! I did not mean to. How can I undo it.? I am new to this and thought it was a different way of bookmarking it.

I am a Christian too and I loved your blog and it is certainly not objectionable. I somehow got to it from a Christian group on Ravelry, the new knitting community.

Again, I am so very sorry. I bet we know some of the same people in Crusade since you came from Colorado. I have good friends in Crusade here in Kansas and also I bet you know one who moved to Colorado in leadership for the region.