Thursday, December 07, 2006

Magical Boston

Tis the season for beautiful lights, snowflakes, hot cocoa (or a peppermint mocha, you choose!) and Christmas! I love this time of year and living here in Boston causes me to enjoy it even more. Last week, I was in the Common for the lighting of the Christmas tree (yep, they chose to call it a Christmas tree this year instead of a "Holiday" tree); it was sweet to participate in this 65 year-old tradition in the city.

Although, truth be told, my friend and I grew weary in waiting for the actual lighting of the tree (there was a long program before they flipped the switch), so we headed to Newbury to do a little shopping. As we walked back through the Public Garden, bushes and trees began to light up and I exclaimed, "It's so magical!" I know, I'm a dork.

I've been thinking for a couple of weeks now how much I love Boston. I know that I've written that here before, but sometimes it's so striking... Riding the T to the office, crossing over the Charles River on the Longfellow Bridge and seeing the city reflected in the water when it's calm, the changing of seasons, the people and now, the Advent season. Fabulous!

This week, I caught one whopper of a virus and have missed engaging with the real world outside of my apartment. Boy, I've missed the city! Hoping to get back to magical Boston soon...

No comments: