Monday, July 09, 2007

It's So Hard to Say Goodbye...


VSP is over... Well, over for the staff. The students remain there trusting God to move in their lives and through their lives. It's an exciting time for them and I can't wait to see all that He does.

Yesterday, I drove away from our staff retreat in Steamboat and cried most of the way to Silverthorne. Saying goodbye has never been my strong suit - especially when it is meaningful to me personally. I tend to get quiet and lose my words even as I feel loss deeply. (If you know me, you know this is a big deal! :)) I would say that God restored part of my heart that has been "missing" the past couple of years in Boston this summer. He allowed me to open up, enjoy Him, enjoy others and ultimately, let people in to see who I am again.

As I continue to process it, I know that I've withheld part of myself in Boston. Our staff team shared highlights from the summer on Saturday night, and I said (probably not for the first time) that I hadn't laughed so much in two years. It was so freeing, refreshing, encouraging, yet it didn't lack challenge. The Lord brought up some things in my life - patterns that I have in relationships and how I view Him - and I realized something important... I've grown. God has brought a greater sense of balance and hope to my heart in those places and I saw it tangibly at play this summer. And, this person that I've "rediscovered" needs to go back to Boston and live it out there now.

Today, of course, I am heartbroken to be away from these friends that became so dear to me in such a short period of time. I am sad that we're no longer living life together in Vail and that we've all gone our separate ways. This was my favorite project team to date and I so wish that we could have had more time. And, isn't that the case in our lives when we experience something so good? I reminded myself this morning that God created us for this kind 0f community - that was His plan! - and why should I be surprised when I grieve its loss.

I want to say thank you... To the Lord, of course for His tremendous love and provision in my life and to our team for loving, enjoying, encouraging, praying for, believing the best about, serving and challenging me. Amy, Beth, Brett, Chance, Darci, Demarick, Jenade, Jo, Liz, Luke, Mike and Phil, I will miss working with you day in and out and am hoping and praying for His very best in your lives in the coming days, weeks, months... You are dear to me and I am so grateful for you!

And, as an aside, you are always welcome in Boston! ... For vacation or feel free to move there. :)

No comments: