Sunday, September 18, 2011

Big Sisters

Something I've noticed in the past year or so is the lack of older people in my life. Certainly I'm around people that are older in age and maturity than I, yet I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time with them. Having moved thousands of miles away from some of my "key" people, staying in touch has been more challenging and thus, the lack has grown.

Three months ago I started to feel the weight of it. Pouring out a lot by investing in some great relationships here, I noticed that I was growing tired and began to see how this deficit was affecting me. Wanting to continue to give and take responsibility for my own needs, I began to pray that God would provide some women in my life, further along in the journey, to whom I might connect with more regularly.

And, arriving back in town after being on the road for the past few months, a string of circumstances appeared that required more energy and faith on my part. I knew: "I need someone to walk in this with me. I cannot do this season alone." A few days after this occurred to me, a woman I respect and enjoy approached me--after catching up a little bit, I asked her if she would prayerfully consider meeting with me this fall as I walked through some larger things in my life. Her smiling response, "I don't need to pray...Should we get together Monday or Tuesday?" Her words were like a cool drink of water on a hot day. I thought, "Someone is actually going to be in this with me!..." I still tear up as I think about it. She and I met on Monday--I felt so cared for as we chatted and ate the lovely quiche she prepared, talking well into the early afternoon.

On Wednesday, it just so happened that one of my best friends was in town for work and had the evening free. As we dropped by the outlet mall and then into the city for dinner, we caught up and she spoke into my present story. When I say "spoke in", I mean the way only a friend who has known you for over a decade can. She's walked with me through so many things and here she was telling me face-to-face that my future was bright.

Coincidentally (or not?) my calendar for Thursday included my once-a-month appointment with my spiritual director. She helped me to process where God is in my present circumstances and I left feeling so seen and encouraged by her and by God. One of the questions she left me to consider was this: "Jessica, how have you been blessed to be a blessing? And then, for what purpose?" (See Genesis 12) Needless to say, I had much to consider as I departed.

Friday rolled around and I headed to the home of yet another woman I know. We sat in camping chairs outside of her garage, enjoying the fresh air, sipping on iced tea and watching her little guy play in the yard with water. She shared more about what she and her family are walking through right now and how they arrived there. I was reminded of how God makes all things beautiful in His time--it gave me perspective to continue to faithfully walk this path that I'm on.

Who knew that in a weeks time, I'd have four appointments with women that would encourage and challenge me in my present season of need and change? Talk about answered prayer!! I was floored that God provided such sweet wisdom and encouragement through these big sisters in such a concentrated fashion--He is so very kind. I was reminded of how important it is that we have godly mentors. Through their lives and experiences we gain wisdom, understanding and hope for the journey. After all, they've been in our shoes and have come through the hard and the good in life. They're able to look with joy to the days ahead because they've chosen to trust Him along the way. This is what they impart to our lives.

I'm grateful for big sisters. What a generous gift they were to me this week--a timely, timely gift.

No comments: