Monday, April 14, 2014

An End of an Era

Today I've struggled to find the right words. I'm in the process of writing a most important letter, the likes of which I cannot turn back from once written and sent. In a way, it feels like the most significant piece of paper I'll mail in my life thus far. It has to do with new beginnings and uncharted roads ahead and releasing and opening my arms wide to whatever God will bring to me (and what He'll bring me to, as well, I suppose).

Given the circumstances I've walked through over the past three months, this is the next necessary step to finish the journey I've been on and embrace what is to come. Still, I felt the words escape me where they typically remain. How do you succinctly tell people your whole life is changing while expressing tremendous gratitude to them all at once? If you know, please tell me. I'm all ears.

This is the task at hand for me this week. I'd hoped I would finish it today, but I'm left with a complete, yet utterly incomplete first draft. Part of me desperately longs to settle it and mail it; the other part of me wishes never to send it at all. The latter has something to do with stepping out in faith in the loveliest way I've yet to do so -- leaving the 'nest' if you will. It's terrifyingly lovely.

And, what's sweet about today and writing this letter is this: in route to a coffee shop where I'd write said letter, I made a pit stop at the Post Office to send a card and pick up my mail. In the process I retrieved an unexpected letter from one of the very people to whom I'll send my news. It's as if the Lord was saying, "Hey, this isn't an ending... They'll still be with you." I felt grateful.

So perhaps I should think of this not as an ending, but as a beginning. A beginning of a new era --  a place to invite people to join me in which simply looks a little different than the other spot. Whatever is to come, I have a strong sense in which it will be more than I ever hoped for and likely harder in ways I could not understand before arriving there. Such is life, after all. But, I thank God I know Him better now. I thank Him for that everyday because whatever is ahead, He's already there ready to greet me. That's good news for my heart today as I press in and try to finish this little letter...

No comments: