Monday, February 26, 2007

A Barista Unlike Any Other

The other night I headed out to do a bit of grocery shopping. It was a lame Saturday night activity, but I returned the day before from a trip and spent the whole of the day engrossed in the 5th Harry Potter book. I cannot get enough!

Anyway, I went to TJ's and did my shopping and noticed a fabulous Starbucks next door. Wonderful! I did a little grocery shopping, put my stuff in my car, checked the time (8:35 PM) and saw that Starbucks was open until 9. Plenty of time to grab a little extra hot hot chocolate!

Well, upon walking in, one Barista was chatting with the only customer in the store and the other was sweeping. I proceeded to the counter and looked up at the drink menu (as if I was deciding what I wanted...). The Sweeper asked, "Did you want to order something?" I'm thinking, "Um, of course I do... Don't just walk into Starbucks for no reason." :)

From that moment on, the Barista proceeded to try and talk me out of my drink! What in the world! That was a new one, I mentioned. He told me the calorie content of the drink I ordered, asked me why I would come in so late, told me that I could go home and make hot chocolate (even encouraged me to go out and buy Nestle Quick!), etc. I told him that if I was such an inconvenience, I'd help him out by saving him time at the register ... He could give me the drink for free.

And, that's exactly what happened.

What a rare experience at Starbucks. Highly, highly amusing. That Barista gave me a smile.

1 comment:

skf said...

OH hysterical!