Sunday, February 18, 2007

Let Down

I must admit that I'm a bit troubled today by the lack of consideration one person can show another. This morning, I headed out the door for church and while standing on a lump of frozen snow (it really won't melt!) waiting for cars to pass, looked across the street at my car and noticed that something seemed out of order. I thought, "No, the sun must be hitting it in such and such a way making it appear that there is a rather large dent on my front fender."

Alas, it was not the sun. I surveyed the damage and realized that the person who caused it failed to leave a note. I then called the police department, my insurance company and then, of course, my parents. I needed someone to sympathize with me - although, I must say the people at the police department and the insurance agency were surprisingly pleasant.

I got to church after I finished my phone calls and my pastor preached on the eighth commandment: You shall not steal. Boy, did this sermon hit home for me today. The person that hit my car was unwilling to pay for the damages that they caused to my property. I am going to have to pay my insurance deductible to have my car repaired and the money I spend doing that will not be able to go where it was meant, and really, needs to go. It is an unfortunate situation and honestly, I'm angry. This unknown person has basically stolen money from me.

Most of me wants justice today. I want the person to come forward or I want someone to catch them. I want them to pay for the damages.

Though, my dad reminded me that God ultimately knows who did this and that he will take care of me. That is comforting. I've been a bit introspective today, as well. I mean, this truth of "You shall not steal" applies as much to me as it does to the next person. While I'm angry with this unidentified person, I must remember that God has forgiven me for worse and I must forgive. I have to let it go.

It's not easy. Bothered would be a nice way of putting my emotions today. I know it's okay to move through this and feel what I feel, but I will also look forward to getting over it. After all, it's just a car, it's just money and life is too short to be that concerned by it.

I think the thing that really bothers me most, however, doesn't have to do with the car or the money. I cannot seem to wrap my mind around the fact that someone did this and did not take ownership of their mistake. That's what is really getting to me. And frankly, I feel let down by that person today. I guess I am still an eternal optimist that wants to believe that given the opportunity, people make the right choices. Admittedly, I am a bit naive in saying this - I know I am. And, I know that this is why the Gospel is so important and relevant today.

People are sinful and need forgiveness. We make mistakes, we let others down and on a much more important level, we are separated from the God who created and loves us as a result of our sin. I need the Gospel to penetrate my heart today to forgive. I am grateful that God gives me the opportunity to do this and let the damage done end with my car and my bank account.

2 comments:

Andy McCullough said...

Jess, Okay I had a similar exp last night but it was in a dream. Maybe I will blog it because too long and random to leave in a comment.

skf said...

i'm so sorry. this is horrible. i had my car stolen 6 years ago and felt exactly the same ...