Sunday, March 14, 2010

Forget Los Angeles?

So I've been thinking...

What is it about men in the context of a Christian subculture of sorts that leads them to become excessively cautious when it comes to relationships? Or, on a much less risky level, the fear of offering a mere compliment to a female friend because of what it could communicate?

I know, I know. We women like to immediately jump into our fantasy-island-land and picture the guy on our first date, then the proposal (he tells us he CANNOT POSSIBLY live without us), our wedding day (we look STUNNING; he thinks so, too!) and our happily ever after where the children (if we have them) think we're amazing, we never fight, we have it all together and the story fades into the backdrop with the well-known sunset and feel good music (perhaps Michael Buble's "Haven't Met You Yet" - we'll see the irony in the lyric as we're so enraptured by the beauty of the story we've just witnessed?)... Whew.

This is what happens when girlfriends get together to shoot the breeze - probably a scary idea for most guys. : ) We, however, do WONDER about these weird realities and where they come from...

Perhaps we've placed too much pressure on guys to have it figured out when really, we know you don't (have it figured out, that is). This doesn't come from a bitter place, actually, rather one filled with compassion. Or perhaps, we continue (in our lovely female way) to give some guys more credit than is due because they know, as do their male friends, that they are afraid and it immobilizes them.

THAT said, we, females, have MAJOR issues, too... Let's not lose sight of that in this moment. (Remember, fantasy-island-land!... If I were a man, I'd be afraid...)

I have been thinking about this since returning from LA last weekend. A strange thing happened there... I actually met Christian guys that were both engaging, handsome, and fun. They weren't scared of me. They asked me questions, made eye contact (what!?!), were kind, even forthright and seemingly mature. (Basis for "seemingly" as used in the last sentence: I don't know much more than the first impression allowed, so I can't comment beyond this, nor they about me for that matter...)

The one remarkable thing I took with me (as I headed back into the, sometimes strange, subculture I live in) was the real sense of being a woman. They behaved like men and in turn, I felt noticed, interesting and yes, even attractive. It was awesome and encouraging.

No wonder I want to move to Los Angeles A.S.A.P. ;)

No comments: