Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Little Changes, Massive Results

It has been just a week or so now since I've shifted my sleep schedule -- going to bed earlier in order to rise much sooner the next day. Recently, I considered how effective I used to be when my schedule had me greeting the day on the early side. I lived it in college and even in my Boston years. I wondered what it could look like to 'go back'...

In the early part of February I mentioned to a friend how exhausted I was feeling after making a major decision for change and she encouraged me, "I don't think it will last much longer..." But, it did.

I gave up sugar for a couple of months to be more in tune with my body and gain greater awareness of how I was feeling (not running to it as a crutch). I also continued working out faithfully. What a helpful process, but it also left me with questions. My exhaustion was worse than I imagined... How in the world could I come to a place where I wouldn't be tired all of the time?

Then, just a few weeks ago, it hit me: You have to choose to change something else, Jess.... There's got to be another factor at play.


And so I thought about my daily schedule -- mornings have ALWAYS been my best, most fruitful times. I've strayed from them for years now. Starting my days later and later. Plus, I realized I needed to add some supplements back into my diet. I've been counting on food to supply all nutrients I need when I know it's really not possible (even with good, non-processed whole foods). So, I changed my sleep schedule and the other day, I bought a blender to bring nutrient-dense shakes back into my life. I've even gotten back into the habit of making my bed in the morning... All of these little things...

I feel like a new human! I've been marveling at how much more energy I have (even after a crazy full weekend) and the sheer volume of tasks I'm able to complete before 11 AM. I've even been enjoying extra time with the Lord -- real, quiet, sweet moments with Him and a cup of coffee where I'm inviting Him to prep me for the day He has ahead for me and just hanging out in Scripture, soaking in His words. It's been really good.

Perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised by the way these seemingly small adjustments are having an enormous impact, but I am. More than that though, I'm just grateful. The Lord always leads us into life -- I'm reminded that sometimes I have to take a step back to see the areas where it might be leaking so I can take responsibility and make life-giving decisions.

No comments: