Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Praying for the City

Every year Campus Crusade sets aside two specific days to pray as a ministry. Yesterday, our Regional Team here in Boston was joined by our University of Connecticut staff, spending a good portion of the day in prayer. Now, that may sound like a lot - to spend a day praying, but our time together was really sweet for me.

The first part of the day was spent listening to a message on God's love for the city by Tim Keller of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in NYC. I was impacted by the reality that God created cities, that cities have much to offer and that God loves and has much to offer the city. People, in cities, he said at one point, are spiritually hungry and open to the gospel (my rough translation from memory). This is something I've considered before, but haven't really internalized.

When we headed out to walk around Boston and pray a while later, I took this message with me. My friends and colleagues, Ryan and Leela and I headed to Boston's South End, back through Back Bay, through the Common and finally to our office in the Financial District. It shouldn't be surprising how much my awareness grew as we walked through the streets asking God to bless this city, the people, opening up doors for the gospel and asking Him for wisdom as to how we could best serve, love and reach out to the people here.

I had such a sense of a need for freedom as I looked into the eyes and faces of the people we passed. You know, it's amazing what you see when you look. Naturally, there were men and women who looked happy, content, still others who seemed discouraged, bothered, stressed and honestly, others who looked lost (and I don't just mean the tourists :) ). I was thinking as we walked and prayed... "God, what will it really take for you to move here?... What do you need to accomplish in my heart and life for me to 'get it' - to know how to minister here?"

It occurred to me yesterday that as a believer, I often think that I need to solve the problem. People are lost, they need Jesus, end of story. But, God didn't design life like a math equation where A + B = C. Life is much more complicated and much less black and white than that. It is true... every single human being has a need for Christ because every single human lives with the reality called 'Sin' - and, we need a Savior to transform us at the very core. Where I often miss the point in my own life, however, is the moment where I place myself in the Savior's shoes.

My friend, Rich tells a story that illustrates my true role much better... Some time ago, he took his kids to a water park. He was watching the youngest in the wadding pool and turned, for a split second, to make a remark to a friend. When he turned back, he couldn't see Brynn. He began to look everywhere, as you can imagine, becoming more panicked as the moments passed. As he ran through the complex, he spotted a park worker holding Brynn's hand, walking toward him. She was crying, of course and Rich ran to meet her, scooped her up in his arms and hugged her tightly. He always goes on to explain that, as believer's, this is our job... connecting lost kids with their Dad.

I love this story - I tear up every time I think of it actually. I am in the midst of a huge city. God knows each and every person here intimately. He created them. He desires to be in relationship with every man and woman and child. Each individual is in process (not in an equation) and on a spiritual journey whether it is leading toward Him or away. My job isn't to solve their problem - "Here, have this nice bandage I like to call 'Turn to God and the rest will be okay,'" but rather, to come alongside people, share in their lives, let them in mine and offer the story of my process with Christ and how He has redeemed my life and has done the same for them. How does this play out? ...I'm still working on that! But, I think it has to do with giving of my time, my heart, my energy to others. Not just being "all talk" but about doing as well.

There are many things that make me uncomfortable about this. In fact, it's mostly because I feel insecure - what do I have to offer? What if I can't relate? What if I disagree with how they live their life? Well, that sounds an awful lot like it's about me, doesn't it? My hope is that as God changes my heart, my response will be more like, "Lord, help me to be your hands and feet in this city. Give me the ability to love, to speak grace and truth together (!) as you would, to be less concerned with myself and more concerned with others. Father, help me to go places that no one else is willing to go to share the truth of your grace."

God loves this city. I love God. Loving God moves me to love the city. How's that for an equation.

No comments: