Sunday, May 28, 2006

Ode to Tires, Flat Tires

Do you remember that commercial that said something to the effect of, "Parents: It's 10:00 PM, do you know where your children are?" Right around 10 PM, I dropped my friend Christina off after a seeing a movie and eating yummy Thai food. From there, I headed home... you know, a mere 9 miles ... It's now 12:45 AM. I just walked in the door.

Now, I was winding through the streets of, nay, the obstacle course called Boston tonight and was just about to hop onto 93 North when, at approximately 10:10 PM, my poor Fred (the Volvo!) ran over a "raised" manhole cover surreptitiously placed in the middle of the street. Needless to say, upon impact, it didn't sound good.

What is a "raised" manhole cover, you wonder? I believe the best description is the following: while constantly remodeling, recreating, deleting and re-adding streets in Boston, workmen sometimes strip down the pavement leaving manhole covers highly exposed until their work is completed. At this point, they bring the pavement up to meet the manhole cover creating a smooth driving surface for all Boston area commuters. Unfortunately for said commuters, they must drive on the surface throughout the process.

So, the sound... it wasn't good. I rolled down my window (mind you, I'm at the entrance to 93 North) and see that my front tire is done. I manage to pull Fred onto a nearby side street and get out to view the damage. I experience the following:

1. A taxi driver lays on his horn... I am in his way.
2. I give said taxi driver a piece of my mind (boy, I'm feeling like a local now).
3. Several ambulances, police cars and yes, a fire engine or two have to squeeze by Fred because of some emergency happening down the street.
4. I see a "non-scary" guy walking nearby as I pull over and ask for his help.
5. He actually does! Thank you, Ryan!
6. All goes smoothly until Ryan gets to the lug nuts. They weren't going anywhere.
7. I remember that my insurance covers roadside assistance (note to the reader: this is a good thing to remember at times like this), but of course, where is the number?…
8. Call placed to roommate, Kim. She finds auto insurance file, telephone number and I am on my way home... hopefully soon.
9. The road side assistance number is helpful, but they want to know the cross streets ... Hello, have you ever been to Boston?
10. I successfully figure out where I am.
11. They're on their way in a mere 35 minutes (it is now 11:07 PM).
12. Ryan leaves and then comes back to check on me (no worries! I'm on a well-lit corner) chats for a bit and heads out to meet friends. Ryan is just 20 and a student at BC seeking to earn his degree in Business Management. Sweet guy.
13. Waiting...
14. Waiting...
15. Help arrives... Two more guys (decked out in Red Sox gear) walking down the street who think that Ryan was a "wimp" since he was unable to undo the lug nuts. Apparently, they know cars.
16. They don't have much better luck.
17. Yay! Road assistance arrives. Spare is put on, instructions given, paperwork filled out, and I am on my way... to the gas station. It's now 12:10 AM.

Yes, did I mention that I'm lame and did not plan enough time in to get gas prior to my fun evening out? I wasn't in complete danger, but it wouldn't have surprised me if I ran out tonight. Anyway, long story short... I learned from the Road Assistance Friend that the city would more than likely reimburse me for my tire. What in the world?! Believe me, I'm not complaining. I just thought, "Now this, this is a good system!" I’ll let you know how that goes.

Needless to say, after all of this, I so appreciate that chivalry is not dead. It was really sweet of these guys to check in and help. Thanks, guys! I guess it’s just nice to know that there are “Good Samaritans” here in Boston.

2 comments:

skf said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry this happened to you :(
~Sarah

Jessica Bott said...

Thanks, Sarah! I'm just glad it ended well. :) See you on Weds!