Saturday, June 02, 2012

Grafted In

My friends are adopting a little boy from Ethiopia and just flew to meet him this week. As I've read their trip updates, I've been absolutely overwhelmed by the beauty of this story. Their journey has been long to reach this initial meeting and court date, but he belongs to them now--he is their son! And, he'll come home in the next few months. Our many prayers have been answered...

I've cried as I've read their words and imagined what it has felt like to meet this person they've invited into their family. They chose this--it was intentional. He is wanted. He is desired. He is loved. And yet, they did not even know him until recently. Those realities blow me away and lead me to tears.

God knew though. He knew all. He understood from the beginning of time that He would lead my friends in this way and give them a powerful love for this little boy. God orchestrated it all--in His love He chose this for them. I cannot understand it. It's too wonderful, it's so meaningful...

The thing is, I don't know that I know love like that. I know that God is love. I experience His love and yet, I don't think that I've recognized how His love for me reaches out to me in this same way. In John, Jesus tells us, "You did not choose Me, but I chose you..." He has grafted me in and has made me His daughter. The Lord has been taking these pieces of their story to speak directly to my heart reminding me of the depths of His love for me. I feel so wanted. I feel desired. I feel so loved. And still, I cannot adequately express what it means to me. In fact, the floodgates are opened and I weep each time I consider it.

To Paul and Anne, your faithfulness and perseverance has blessed me in a way I never imagined. Your story has helped me see the Father with new lenses. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. There is certainly more to this story in the days ahead. I think I just needed to pause in this moment to acknowledge the impact and significance of what it means to comprehend that we're wanted. Thank you for living out His heart for all of us in your lives and in your family. It matters.

No comments: