Thursday, August 08, 2013

In Quietness and Rest...

I've been tired this week. The sort of tired where my body says, "Stop! Why are you still in motion?"  Needless to say, I felt so grateful to wake up this morning without need to pull myself together to leave the house for an appointment. I made an egg with veggies and some toast. I slowly drank my coffee. Sitting down to read, I felt all over the place and finally asked the Lord to bring stillness to me and show me something meaningful. After, I came upon Psalm 93:

The Lord is king! He is robed in majesty.
    Indeed, the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength.
The world stands firm
    and cannot be shaken.
Your throne, O Lord, has stood from time immemorial.
    You yourself are from the everlasting past.
The floods have risen up, O Lord.
    The floods have roared like thunder;
    the floods have lifted their pounding waves.
But mightier than the violent raging of the seas,
    mightier than the breakers on the shore—
    the Lord above is mightier than these!
Your royal laws cannot be changed.
    Your reign, O Lord, is holy forever and ever.

The house I'm living in right now has a lovely bit of open space behind it. I sat here looking out on green fields warming in the wake of the rising sun considering these words. It is such a comfort to know the Lord. I'm thankful for the reminders in this particular Psalm because as I remember who He is, I find rest.

I sensed an opportunity to sit in the knowledge of His love for me. So I asked Him, "Lord, would You show me how You love me today?" As I waited, several different people and the related circumstances I'm walking through with them came to mind. My eyes welled up with tears as I thought about each. They weren't tears of sadness, but tears of release. I realized the Lord was inviting me to hand the questions, the frustrations and the outcomes to Him. I asked, "Lord, would You show me how Your love touches these things and how I'm to respond knowing that You love me perfectly and completely?"

In the midst of the weariness, these are the sweetest moments I could ask for with God. Learning to sit in the quiet to hear Him today made space for the things going on in my heart to surface. It allowed a place for me to understand how the Lord loves me and relates to me. We looked at them together. In the process, He invited me to lift my eyes -- to see what He sees. I saw His goodness and His love. And, as I remembered the truth of who He is, I found peace and strength at the start of this new day.

No comments: