Thursday, October 24, 2013

Englarged into Joy

"All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it’s not only around us; it’s within us. The Spirit of God is arousing us within. We’re also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don’t see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy."

There's a spot on I-70 West where one arrives at the peak of a steep incline and just as the car begins to descend toward a valley, a breathtaking landscape presents itself. Rows and rows of mountain summits appear in the distance as far as the eye can see. Just thinking of the sight evokes a feeling I've felt a thousand times as I've encountered this panoramic: My heart leaps and joy erupts. The majesty of this moment always takes my breath away. It has to be one of my favorite experiences on planet earth.

Witnessing it today, I was reminded of how hard it is to wait. There are things I've longed for and they seem so far off as I continue the climb toward the crest. When I arrive there, beauty unfolds before my very eyes. There is sweetness in the arrival, but quickly fades as an awareness grows pointing me toward those peaks in the distance. My journey has only just begun. Uncertainty sets in and fear rises as I consider what it will take to reach those far-off places. To be honest, I don't have a clue what will be required of me along the way; though, I've lived long enough to know it will involve both joy and sorrow. I see those beautiful crowns and sense the good awaiting me there. What to do? Stay here? It is a lovely view... Or, plunge into the valley? I think of the possibilities. How can I lead others where I have yet to go myself?

Discovery is a risky, yet wondrous affair. Am I willing? Looking back, I see only the familiar and I'm comforted by it. Setting my sights on what is ahead, I feel alive. I feel expectant. And I feel terrified. But, there's a truth I need to remember today: I have been enlarged in this waiting. God has shaped and transformed me in ways I never imagined. He has cultivated the soil of my heart to offer who I am to the world in a way only I can. He has stripped off weights which held me back. He has prepared me for this season to be unleashed into an adventure I never imagined for myself. And, I think it's about joy. I think it's about destiny. I think He's telling me the good gifts He has ahead on this pilgrimage will not be taken from me. It sounds too good to be true, but then I remember... He is faithful to His promises.

No comments: