Sunday, October 06, 2013

Putting on My Party Dress

My new house is still in chaos; furniture needs to be found, boxes need unpacking, and small things need places to rest. I did my best today to make progress, pressing through a desire to give up when I wasn't sure which thing to do next. I forced my way out of the house at one point, roommate in tow, to look at a possible buffet that might work for the living room. It didn't, but the break was welcome. I was thankful to get out of the house even if it meant I did so in workout gear.

Then I had somewhere to be tonight. My friend instructed those on the guest list to put on our 'party dresses' so we could celebrate in style. (YES.) Running around the house, I somehow found my way into make-up and heels. What a difference! I looked like another person... Trust me, it was good. You would have wanted me to look like another person. I promise.

Arriving at the birthday celebration for my LOVELY friend, Amanda, I discovered this enchanting backyard scene! We ate and laughed and even shed a few tears under delightful lights twinkling above while cool air enveloped us (a treat for Floridians in October!). In typical form, she took the opportunity to celebrate US. What in the world?... Her birthday celebration turned into a time of gratitude for her friends. I learn so much from the way she loves and cherishes those in her life. It was really special. I kept thinking, "I'm so glad I GET to know her..." Truly.

Driving home, I reflected again on the newest blessings in my life. I cannot express how grateful I feel to be living in the city once again. Pinch me! I feel like I'm dreaming. Seriously. My mind wandered back to the wonderful time with my friend and those she invited to her party. I just felt so humbled to be included and cherished tonight. What a gift... And, walking back into my house I found it as I left it--undone. Really, it's a blessing though. My imagination has gone absolutely wild in this new place with the possibilities of what it will become. I'm dreaming and designing in my mind and it's just so stinkin' fun. I feel alive in a fresh way. It's like joy is returning to me. I don't know where it went and honestly, I don't know how long it has been put away from me, but I feel it coming back to me.

Amanda talked a lot about gratitude tonight. I appreciate her example. She reminded me to take stock of the things I am profoundly grateful for and celebrate them. It was a good way to spend a Saturday night.

No comments: