Thursday, January 16, 2014

Taking Time

One thing I'm appreciate about the conversations I'm having about the future is how no one seems to be in a hurry. I'm learning how there is wisdom in the waiting. Today I was reflecting on how peaceful my heart feels in the midst of so much uncertainty. I'm grateful to have turned a corner in that regard this week.

Tonight I invited our small group to share things God has been showing them about 2014. What are you hoping to see? What has the Lord spoken in about what He wants you to trust Him for? What are some steps of faith you want to take? My hope was for us to share and capture these things so we might champion one another toward them throughout the year ahead.

It's pretty beautiful what happened... As each person shared it was clear how they have an understanding of what the Lord is inviting them into. And, I realized something important... These are the places where we get to focus our attention. In my experience, the group 'leader' decides the direction and everyone goes there. To an extent, I am doing that of course (living with intentionality, yes?). But, the thing which strikes me tonight is how God is at work in each person's life and we get to be part of what He leads them into. This is no "one size fits all" group scenario, right? I have the privilege of stewarding our gatherings in a way which highlight these things so we can see one another take faith steps into what God calls each of us to this year.

It reminded me of what I've experienced in my conversations about the future. We get to take time to discover how God wants to accomplish the things we shared tonight. We get to listen to one another and for one another. We get to encourage and challenge one another to step into those possibilities for growth, maturity and impact. To use my latest favorite word: Rad!

Driving home from a day full of appointments, I felt a bit defeated about the 'plan' for tonight. I hadn't taken good time with the Lord today and genuinely felt like, "What in the world are we supposed to do?" I felt disappointed in myself. Then, I stopped focusing on what I hadn't done and said to the Lord, "God, You know what we need tonight. Will You show me so we can step into it?" And, there we go...

I'm so grateful for His mercy, the time He takes with us to develop and transform us, and for His deep, deep abiding love. I'm encouraged tonight as I consider how He provided just what we needed and the way He's doing that for me, too in my personal journey. It's taking some time to sort it out, but I'm convinced that the time is worthwhile and what needs to come to fruition will happen as I continue to walk by faith, lean on Him, listen and obey. I think it's a good place to be and I'm grateful.

No comments: