Friday, January 10, 2014

The Rare Ones

Sitting in the living room rounding out the evening, my roommate offered, "I love the way you are when you're with them." She was referring to a couple we're both friends with in our small group. Smiling, I nodded, "I know... I've told them many times before how I don't know what happens to me, but I become wholly myself when I'm with them. I'm not afraid of bringing all of it to the table." When she headed to her room, I continued to think about it.

When we arrived at their house for a hangout time with our group tonight, I walked up to their front door and yelled through the adjacent windows, "Let us in! Let us in! Let us in Let us in Let us in!!!!" I saw K over the sink smiling and S moved from his perch on the couch, amused.

There's something really special when you encounter people you can be yourself with. I don't know what it is about this couple, but I truly feel free when I'm with them. This belly laughing, wise-cracking, spastic person comes out to greet anyone around and brings along the one who considers things deeply, talks and talks and talks, gets red-hot-fiery on soapboxes, the woman who analyzes everything and the one who weighs the significance of what it means to to leave a legacy with her life. I get the craziest ideas when I'm with them and I actually think about how we'll carry them out... That "me" is present with them. I'm amazed on a regular basis when I see it in myself because it's uncommon.

In the case of all rare things, it's precious to me--this way of living as myself with them. Tonight, I feel especially grateful for them and the me I am when I'm with them. "She" is someone I'd like to know better because I only catch glimpses of "her" in my regular life. I feel like a stranger to myself as I type that (if you didn't notice, that's the reason for the quotation marks... ha!), but part of me feels that way. Perhaps that's the reason I said this as we parted tonight, "We can't go more than a week without seeing each other!!" It's sort of great to be a spaz sometimes... I meant it. :)

The thing is, I think I'm able to be this way because they're safe people. They're emotionally and spiritually grounded. They're trustworthy. They're faithful friends who know what it looks like to give and receive; extend and accept invitations. They share their stories and their lives; they let me in. They tell me they want to know me and champion me along this path I'm walking. They pray for me and remember the details. We laugh together (and we do, a whole lot). I know they'll be there because they've told me they want to be there. They don't just say this, but they actually mean it. I can confidently say this because their actions line up with their words.

I love them and being with them. And, I love who I am when I'm with them. The Lord has really blessed me in this friendship... Really, really, really blessed me indeed. I pray to be as safe a person and loyal a friend to them as they continue to be for me. I'm thankful.

No comments: