Monday, November 11, 2013

When I Was a Child

Years ago a friend told me his theory that what most captivates us as children speaks to our long-term passions and destiny. I promptly went home, called my dad and asked him what I cared about as a kid. It was a short list.

"You liked to...
Look pretty,
Spend time with your friends,
Talk,
And oh, look pretty..."

At first I laughed and when I shared this with my friend, he laughed, too. He loved it. Part of me didn't. I think it's because it rang true and I wondered: What do those things have to do with my contribution to the world? Each seemed fairly shallow or boring.

I remembered all of this about a month ago as I considered some things I'd processed earlier this year in counseling. Suddenly, I didn't feel so lame about the list anymore. All of these years later, I have begun to realize how these elements of who I am actually have the potential for loveliness in my own life and in the world around me.

I started to understand why beauty is so important to me -- not just in my appearance, but in the things I set out to do and cultivate in my friendships, neighborhood, and city. I realized investing in people and spending time with them isn't boring or lame, but so life-giving and a privilege -- walking with people in their own stories is an absolute honor! And my love for communication has only grown with time. I love to share ideas, write and teach. 

So, what did you like to do as a kid? Chances are, you're probably really great at it still and if you're ever in a rut trying to figure out your next steps, revisiting those things might just bring you back to center. I've certainly experienced this in my own life recently and I'm so grateful for the reminders. The Lord has been helping me tune in so I might focus more intentionally on the things He's entrusting to me--the things He made me to be and to do.

No comments: